Thursday, February 09, 2006

something positive

Let's start as I mean to go on. Why do I like something positive?

That link you see will take you to the very start of the archive, where the art is significantly worse than it is today (it gets much better, I promise). I do that because Something Positive is one of many story comics I read- it tells us about Davan and his friend's lives. There is not necesssarily any point- as far as I know there is no specific point the artist, Randy Millohand is aiming for. The comic may end after 10 years- that's what I heard anyway.

So why do I like it? Well first of all, it is funny- not always laugh at loud funny, but sometimes genius, although very, very harsh humour. If you are easily offended, you probably shouldn't read it, but I think if you have a sense of humour and an open mind you will enjoy it (and if you don't, I have just implied you are a close minded simpelton).

But ultimately, I don't read something positive because it's funny. Honestly, it didn't really grip me when I started reading through the archive. The jokes were a little hit and miss, and while it's particular brand of sarcasm is one I enjoy, it was not gripping me enough. And then it hit me. I cared about the characters.

They are all very real, and they all hurt, and ultimately, for all their snarkiness, they care about each other. You see them genuinely evolve as time goes on, and mostly the change feels very natural. There are storylines that will genuinely affect you, until many claimed to have actually cried after the conclusion of a very recent cartoon. You'll notice I have tried to avoid spoilers in this, and this is a policy I will try to maintain with any webcomic that I think lives and falls on it's story. Admittedly it is still a very enjoyable ride reading something positive, but it's even better if you do not have it spoilt for you.

It will take a lot for me to stop loving something positive, and if you give it a chance, then I think it will affect you the same way too.

1 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry K but, it really doesn't. I've tried!

Maybe I'm just not a webcomic kinda guy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home