Saturday, January 06, 2007

xkcd

XKCD is not a webcomic that needs a great amount of promotion. It's a webcomic that snuck up on me- I saw it mentioned in various other comics, but every time I started to read it, the unexciting inital strips put me off. I have gone over this here, and I think it's something that webcomics (that are interested in attracting new readers) really should address.

XKCD is hilarious. Another comic done by someone without the greatest artistic talents, and thus benifiting from the knowledge that a lot of these less able artists seem to have- science. This is great for anyone who does understand science, as we don't really get much physics/mathematics/computational linguistics humour. Or at least, we didn't until the advent of the internet.

Still, XKCD is not just about science, it finds humour in a variety of situations- I'm a big fan of the "my hobby strips" in particular. It's all one shot stuff, which I always imagine is more challenging from the point of view of being humorous- weak jokes can often be forgiven if you are commited to the story and the characters, but when you change every day, you have to fight to make the audience laugh, somthing some webcomics fail to do (I was tempted to put hyperlinks here, but I abstained).

As well as writing a very enjoyable comic (which is going on my top 5), Mr Munroe has also created the very distracting and enjoyable "best thing", "funniest" and "fairest" sites where you can vote for... well what it says on the tin. I would reccomend giving all of this a go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home